Woman Dies From 'Flesh-eating' Bacteria After Eating Oysters

A Texas resident went crabbing with friends and family while on the Louisiana cost, picking up a sack of raw oysters from a market. 

The woman and her friend shucked and ate about two dozen raw oysters and 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, rashes on her legs and more. Everyone thought it was an allergic reaction of sorts, but after 48 hours, her condition worsened. 

Doctors said she had vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria, one that can be contracted after eating raw or under-cooked shellfish or by exposing open wounds to brackish water. The woman had been in contact with both and for 21 days she fought for her life. She was unable to recover and died in the middle of October of 2017. 

Now her family and friends are trying to raise awareness. 

Watch the news story below. 

 

See how our listeners reacted to this story below. 

 

Photo via Getty Images & Story via KLFY

Bobby Bones

Bobby Bones

Want to know more about Bobby Bones? Get their official bio, social pages & articles on Bobby Bones! Read more

The latest in news, straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to the The Bobby Bones Show newsletter!

title

Content Goes Here