I decided to break down what I think are the best Marvel villains in film. Not just in the MCU…but from any Marvel movies to date. This is based on how much of an impact they had on the movies, the actors who played them and how memorable they were.
1. Thanos (Infinity War 2018 / Endgame 2019)
Josh Brolin seems like a good guy in person but on screen he is the ultimate villain. Thanos was the true unstoppable force needed in the MCU. When you find yourself thinking over and over again “How are they going to stop this guy?” That makes for a villain you love to hate. Josh Brolin also did pretty good as Cable in Deadpool…so maybe villains really are his thing.
2. Loki (Avengers - 2012)
Thomas Hiddleston was born to play Loki. From the look, to the accent to the little quirks that make the character very much him. He is to Loki as Robert Downey Jr. is to Iron Man. Throughout the MCU you also see the evolution of Loki from villain to ally. But then again, he’s Loki and you can never truly trust him.
3. The Green Goblin (Spiderman - 2002)
Willem Dafoe does demented really well. His descent into madness was great to watch and he is the only Green Goblin we will ever need. No questions asked. The costume is iconic paired with the hoverboard and exploding pumpkins.
4. Killmonger (Black Panther - 2018)
Michael B. Jordan was sinister as Killmonger. But you almost didn’t know whether to root for him or against him at times because he’s that good. Plus the scarring on his body adds to the uniqueness of the character.
5. Magneto (X-Men - 2000)
Ian McKellen is a critically acclaimed actor, but this is an underrated role of his. These movies would not be the same without him…and we saw as the rest of the X-Men franchise were rather bombs. Magneto is an Omega-Level Mutant so it's not just some rich guy in a costume, he is a true force to be reckoned with.
- Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger -2011) Played by Hugo Weaving
- Vulture - (Spider-Man: Homecoming - 2017) Played by Michael Keaton
- Mysterio (Spider-man: Far From Home - 2019) Played by Jake Gyllenhaal
- Juggernaut (X-Men: The Last Stand 2006) Played by Vinnie Jones
- Ultron (Avengers Age of Ultron - 2015) Played by James Spader
To hear the full episode….check out Movie Mike’s Movie Podcast!